Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Parenting

As the days go on MJ and I get closer and closer to the day when we may actually consider being parents, and to be honest it scares both of us. We find reasons not to take the plunge. Things like money, or will we be good parents, or will we be strong enough to make the hard decisions when needed. We both also know that each of these concerns are petty and if we were "gut level honest" with ourselves, no parent is ever really ready to be a parent. Just today I was approached for the millionth time about when MJ and I would be putting together a nursery, and I always respond with "NEVER." But the truth is that maybe someday it will happen. Honestly, I want it to happen because I think my wife will be the greatest mother, and I know that my mom and her mom will make sure that our children are treated properly as spoiled little grandbabies. It also does not help that our good friends Tony and Katie in Bourbonnais, IL are expecting and I am just a little jealous.

Is anyboody really ready for kids? How do you deal with the pressure that comes with raising a life that you are competely responsible for?

I guess in my job I see how parents act. I see all kinds. The scary ones are the ones who truly try hard and their kids are still bad. I guess I need to focus on the posiitve, and know that with a good solid Christian home kids have the best chance and that is what is important.

Your Thoughts?????

6 comments:

Amanda Kirkpatrick said...

do it!!! it's the most rewarding experience you could ever have!!!! kids are awesome!!!! it is scary, but ssooooo worth it!!!!! the parents who worry about the things you are worried about are the ones who actually make good parents....it's the ones who just 'make babies' and worry about the consequences later that really create problems for themselves and others!! ;)

Kyle Vannoy said...

That fact that you have put so much thought into this subject just shows how "ready" you are and I use the term "ready" loosely. Parenting can be very rewarding, but it takes a lot of work and dedication and it's not always easy. I'm not sure anyone is really ready for children, the question is are you ready put the needs of a child above your own needs. If you are then that's as "ready" as you can be.

The Vannoy Family said...

Just like you said: just focus on the positive & know that with a good solid Christian home, kids have the best chance - it's all in God's hands- just like you were! Gosh! Joe has a heart...hmmmm! j/k

Ginger Wilson said...

I cannot begin to imagine my life without my two children. Now that Chase is off at college, I wish we would have had more!

Being a parent is by far the most exciting roller coaster you will ever ride. There are ups, downs, thrills and chills that make the ride very much worthwhile!

When they hurt, you will hurt...when they are happy, you will be happy, when they cry you will make the person who made them cry...cry harder!!! :) LOL!

Like Melissa said, it is all in God's hands, so take the plunge!

Oh, I agree with you....MJ would make an awesome mom! ;)

Jacki said...

Hi, Joe! I just found your email in my junk mail box at school. So glad I opened to see your blog address there! As you know, Josh and I became parents not too long ago after seven great years of marriage. It was well worth the wait. Joel is a lot of responsibility, but the love and happiness he brings us, far out measures that. Check out our blog we keep about him at: cupofjoel.blogspot.com. I update it daily! Great to see how you're doing!

pumpkin81 said...

being a parent is just a stepping stone in life. Just like in your blog about meeting M.J for the first time. It was a blessing from God. Having kids makes life great. When you wake up face to face with them in morning or when you are having a bad day and you hear those four little word that makes the whole days stess melt away. (i love you momma)
It opens up a whole new world of adventures for everyone. besides maw needs a baby to rock on holidays so she doesn't have to do dishes lol. To make a long story short. you will both be great parents and you guys will do great...... Now wheres our babies!!!!!