Tuesday, September 8, 2009

An Interesting Weekend

Well it has been awhile, but I thought I would send out an update. Life with Joe and MJ is great. We have spent every evening for the past two weeks tying grape vines to the posts they will grow up for the next thirty years. We both got to work and come home around 5:30 or so and tie vines until we finished a row. Each row takes about two hours to tie the 125 vines. Then we eat dinner and fall over.

Well this weekend we finished the vines, but not before a four foot surprise on Saturday morning. MJ and I were in the garage about to get in my car and head to the bank to clear up a mistake, and IT happened. The sound that most Texans know and never forget rang out in the garage. It was loud. The distinct vibration of a rattlesnake's tail caused MJ, who was about six feet from it, to stop and turn right around. I proceeded to ask her to get the dogs, who were also in the garage, and take everyone into the backyard. I went and got a hoe and drug that four foot long snake into the driveway and decapitated it. Below are some pretty good pictures of it post injury. It had been nearly a year since the last rattlesnake murder, so it came as quite a shock. On top of that, Monday morning while tying vines we came across another little rattlesnake curled up under a vine that I happened to be kneeling down to work on. This was just a baby, but it also fell victim to the hoe and is no longer with us.



Here are just a few pictures of the vineyard taken this Labor Day weekend. You can see just how much they have grown.

This is MJ and our yellow Lab, Zoey, entering the vineyard.

Here is the view from the Master bedroom window. I do not know about you, but to me that seems like a lot of grape vines.


1 comment:

Charla (SHar-la) said...

Wow! What a view from your bedroom! I would love to know what your friends in Chicago would think of you wrangling snakes! Ha!

The vines look great!

Oh, and next post should include some pics of the house! I'm just sayin...